Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I Loved a Woman


NOTE: This is a slightly sentimental, whimsical and "wimpy" piece..

I loved a woman,
She was my heart’s desire,
Her splendor shone on my face,
My fancy did embrace,

I wooed her with words,
They flew round her like birds,

Shining and singing,
I hoped intoxicating,

But wine cannot be made drunk,
Nor a mirror hide truth,

She enjoyed my homage,

Ignored my hunger,

I told her my heart,
And I listened to hers,

Put wild flowers on her hair, and gossamer,
Driven by the laughter and love of her,

But it was I that swooned,
I brought her the moon,

She took it happily,
Somewhat summarily,

Whatever I gave her,
Already belonged to her,

And she never knew,

My ache as it grew,

She dropped petals on me,
Caressed with gentle breeze,

Her flowing curved lazily,
Her laughter shook happily,

Yet she never felt,
And she never thought,

That which I sought,

Before her I knelt,

She did not even imagine,
That one could wish without deserving,

So she gave me a passing waft,

An aroma cruel and soft,

And then it was evening,
She gladly declared her leaving,

Not even knowing, nor caring,

I watched her now despairing,

I said naught for pride,
She looked at me and knew this:

I could not say what I could not hide,
Tribute taken, departed with a kiss.

No comments: